Song Fu #5

13»

Comments

• edited December 2009
    There will be a Song Fu listening party for the Round 3 Challenge songs TONIGHT at 8pm EST HERE: http://is.gd/57I5K

Spread the word and be there to have a listen & support your fellow artists... There will be a post-listening Q&A, and voting goes live after...
  • Voting is open. Another batch of good songs.

From the listening party, there is master picked out, and depending on his/her/their schedule, the final challenge should run sometime later this month, and Song Fu 6 is planned to start in early January.
  • Thanks for the heads-up Caleb! I wasn't able to make the listening party (as usual). I'm excited to see some additional names/bands jumping in for this round. Also, very glad to hear that there is a master lined up, and a plan set for the Song Fu 6. Yay!
  • "Sometime later this month." Voting for this round will end... what, Friday night? Best case, challenger announced this weekend, challenge ending what... Christmas day? What is Ken thinking? Folks have holiday plans, office parties, travel to visit family and what-not...
  • I *thought* that was what he said, but I might be mistaken. He wasn't really committed to a specific date. He said it depended on the Master's schedule. But I was pretty sure (and surprised) that he said first week of January to signup for Fu 6.
  • edited December 2009
    It does seem a little tight...
    But if voting ends this sunday and the Final challenge goes up the same day that still leaves around 16-17 days till the next one goes up?

But yeah, it may mean voters are thin on the ground.

ETA...
    Now I'm wondering... Did he *say* voting ended Sunday or Friday?)
  • I haven't even had a chance to hear them yet * yawn* and am too tired after a very long full day to listen right now...Sleep...yeah, that would be nice....
    Over 5 dozen cookies delivered to Walter Reed hospital today, incl my "gingerbread soldiers" And there was much nom noming.
  • Joe: On the voting page it says
    VOTING CLOSES AT 11:59pm EST on SUNDAY, DECEMBER 20th.
    You do realize that once you beat Coulton/P&S/Molly/other, you won't be able to participate in Song Fu 6 until the final round when you are revealed as the secret master, right? ;')))))
  • edited December 2009
    I'm not so much worried about voters for the final round, I'm just thinking that if the master challenge is revealed... what, the 21st, due the 27th, neither the master nor the challenger is going to have much time to put into it and we're going to have phoned in songs, recorded in 30 minutes in a train station or something...

I am giving serious thought to signing up for the next Song Fu myself. I have never written and recorded an original song, and so I have _no idea_ if I can do it or how bad or good the results might be. I may have to enter into some delicate negotiations with my wife to try to get the quiet time needed...

FWIW I could also really use comments on Creepy Doll in the "Creepy Monkey Underpants" thread... I have uploaded several test mixes and have almost no feedback. That song seemed to be sitting for quite a while languishing unfinished, so I attempted a vocal in addition to guitar parts. Latest test mix (#5) is:

http://www.box.net/shared/fa749liij9

The only remaining to-do I've got with it is that I think the bass is rough on the choruses and sounds better on the verses. Also, I should take a close look at timings. There is no percussion -- it sounds OK to me without it, but ???
  • @Paul: I hate having only 24-hour days. Giving your Creepy Doll a proper critical listen (I have listened casually once or twice) has been on my to-do list for a while, as has been making the time to go through all the Song Fu entries. I'm working up some serious guilt about it, if it helps ;-)
  • @Caleb. Thank you for your confidence.. But it ain't over yet ! ;' )

@Paul... If only you knoew someone who could help..........? ;' )

@Borba.. HI ! You Rock ! ;' )
  • .....why isn't Ken saying who the master is....

: - (
  • Did you just use a not-smiling face, Joe??? I don't think I've ever seen you do that before. And with a dashed-nose nonetheless. :-)

I don't know if Ken's said anything since the listening party, but I would imagine he wants to make the big reveal when the Final Round drops, which I also would imagine probably won't happen until after Christmas. Of course, my imagination has no bearing on what Ken does, but he did say something about working around the master(s)'s schedule. At least give it a day or two until after Christmas before you worry too much?
  • Lol, Joe, not worry? No way, in this he is the anti-Alfred E. Neuman! All worry all the time!
  • Just to see if I could do it, I've created a couple of "ghost" entries (not substantial enough to be shadows) of this month's challenges. I know these are late, but I didn't find out about the competition until late, and since I'm not competing I can jolly well take my time.

The first one was to write a song about a number.
    http://www.cratchit.org/music/2009/12/twenty-two.html

Another was to write a winter holiday song that's not about the holidays.
    http://www.cratchit.org/music/2009/12/twelve-days-of-campaign.html

I didn't bother with the mole-man challenge 'cause I couldn't find the list and I'm not buying the book just for that. Anyway, I wanted to post this up before Christmas. Have a wonderful holiday, folks!
  • Happy New Year, everyone! Has everyone updated their bookmarks?

http://www.quickstopentertainment.com/letter.html

:-)
  • edited January 2010
    Was there at the birth Edric...

www.asitecalledfred.com

(Positive its a tip o' the hat to Spike Milligan!)
  • Interesting, though I must admit that I never really checked out anything on the site other than Song Fu. For those who couldn't find Song Fu on the old site either, the link to all things song fu is here.

Leigh, I just realized that I forgot to comment on your songs, which I totally intended to do. Those were great! They would have been worthy entries had you actually written them in the contest, and would have made voting even harder than it already was. I really liked the idea of using a door room number as your number. The moleman list used to be here, but it seems to have been taken down.
  • But Ken is still tormenting Joe by not revealing the final Master Challenger or the topic, right?
  • right...

But I am not complaining.....
    (Not anwhere he can SEE... right Ken?)

;' )

heeheehee
  • Hot off the presses...
    After attempts to make post-holiday scheduling work for a Master (sadly, was not to be this edition), @JoeCovenant is Master of Song Fu #5!
    Sad, but congrats, Joe!
  • Congrats to Joe, though the victory must seem somewhat hollow....

I have an idea, let's use JoCo's most recent song as a stand-in Master's entry for the final round. Joe, your challenge is "Write a song about a sad vampire...." :)
  • Hehe. Song Fu specifications aren't usually that specific. The challenge would more likely read something like "Write a song about the weather" -- then we can compare Blue Sunny Day with Ghoul Tide.
  • Aw phooey! I wanted a final showdown at the OK corral fu!
  • Ken calld me about this last night.
    Good of him to do so I thought.

YEs, it would have been an AMAZING final for me.
    I will not name the Master....
    ... but he is close to my (our) hearts.

And maybe the only one of the masters I would have gladly lost to (and I WOULD have lost to him)

Still...

ONWARD to Song Fu 6 !

(Wow.... Im a master! Coulton, The Rifftones, Molly, Berg and Jerry and Me!)
  • Ah, now I'm even more disappointed, Joe!
  • In that case... I officially congratulate you, Oh Master!