Thing-A-Week 5-8?

edited August 2009 in JoCo Music
LETS MAKE A PETITION TO MAKE JONATHAN DO 4 MORE THING A WEEK ALBUMS! Hahaha. Bet he'd enjoy that... lol

Maybe if we all gave him $10 he'll do it... xD

It won't happen I know... but would you like it to happen again?

Comments

• It won't happen I know... but would you like it to happen again?
    Um, yeah, I'd even give the 10 bucks (lots more than that, actually.... that's only about 20 cents per song!).

I'm just hoping we're gonna get a couple of new songs out of his summer vacation!
  • I'd be happy with a Thing-A-Month, which seems more doable.
  • I hope you realise that Thing A Week means no touring. But I guess more lasting value for more people comes out of it (depending on how much you value a recording of a live show compared with a new song.)
  • Jmonkee has a point I think it would be better to give $52 each as that is his standard charge a dollar a song. But either way I'm not sure I am happy with it as it doesn't seem right to force him to do something he doesn't want to do.
  • Six months of Thing-A-Week might be an idea? Followed by six months of touring the new material?

Of course, that still means six months of no touring-revenue, but as far as compromises go, it's a thought, right?

Maybe an alternating three months of Thing-A-Week and then three touring-months. I dunno.
  • I honestly prefer Calebs thing-a-month

more doable and more time to write songs :)
  • we could test the viability of this by everyone sending him a dollar with the note that it's in anticipation of the new song. If enough people did it would he then feel obligated?
  • He should feel guilty that he hasn't given us any new music this summer, as he had promised us
  • he did? I don't remember a promise.
  • Well, he's working on SOMEthing, because he's twittered a couple of times about listening to his source tracks. Hopefully, there's at least one new song in there as well.

Regarding Rob's idea, have you tried donating recently? If you click on the Robots, Monkeys and Bananas link, you get the following message:
    Buying Candy for Jonathan Coulton will return VERY SOON
    featuring AWESOME NEW TECHNOLOGY. Thanks!
  • I think that the "promise" he refers may be this quote from the 404 podcast, back in April...

"I'm actually taking the summer off from touring, to do some serious writing. So expect a lot of new music."

No exactly a promise, but I think it would be fair to expect some new music! :)
  • edited August 2009
    When I spoke to Jonathan in October, he seemed very determined that he hated deadlines, and would never do that sort of thing again. He went on to say that he needs to make more music with out a deadline though. If you want the exact words he said, it is in a video on my youtube channel (when I'm talking to him in a cafe)

I know we (the forum peeps) had an idea a while back of using a website where we donate money and when it reaches a set amount, Jonathan writes a new song. I spoke to Jonathan about it, and he didn't like the idea, and one reason was the being forced to write a song.

As much as I hate it, I suspect we just have to leave it to Jonathan to write songs when he is ready. Although I want new songs as much as the next man, so if you can find a way to inspire Jonathan to write new songs I'm fully behind it.
  • I assumed the twittering regarding source tracks had to do with him doing stuff for Rockband.
  • Ah. Of course.
  • Am I the only one who feels uneasy about all of this talk of unfulfilled promises, and how Jonathan should feel, and what the fans deserve? I don't mean to be snarky or bitchy, but this is the side of fandom that really irks me. I know most of it is said in jest, but there seems to be really sentiment in some of it too.

I don't really feel eloquent enough right now to make my case well, but Neil Gaiman made it quite clear in his George R R Martin is not your bitch blog post. It's a really good read, and I think it should be required reading for any fan who thinks they've waited too long for new content.
  • I'm going to be seeing him live four times in September. I'm not in any position to complain.
  • JoCo has given me more music in two years than most of the other musicians I like released in their careers. He has added so much to the soundtrack of my life that I could never thank him enough and would never think to demand anything more.

George R. R. Martin is a really nice guy. I have a whole bunch of his books signed because my aunt was his insurance agent. #lameclaimtofame
  • JoCo has given me more music in two years than most of the other musicians I like released in their careers. He has added so much to the soundtrack of my life that I could never thank him enough and would never think to demand anything more.
    I'll second that.

I can't speak for anyone else here, but I certainly don't think JoCo "owes" us anything, or has promised anything. On the other hand, I don't think there's anything wrong with brainstorming some ways to persuade him to get a few new songs out there. After all this is the JoCo forum, that seems like a perfectly reasonable topic.....
  • edited August 2009
    I can't speak for anyone else here, but I certainly don't think JoCo "owes" us anything,
    Indeed, considering how much more generous he is than many other artists, you could say that we owe him something... which gives me a crazy idea:

How about we fans somehow organise to do a thing a week, maybe with each of us being assigned a certain week, say... e.g. week 1 (being optimistic that we start immediately), Spiff releases a Soterios Johnson video, week 2, X releases the thing s/he's been working on lately using song Y, week 3 it's so-and-so's turn to do something. We could work out at the beginning who does something each week, and/or change it as we go along depending on who has an idea, who has something already in the works, maybe something crops up for the person who was supposed to do this week's one so somebody else volunteers to do a quickie (ETA: Either they create a whole JoCo-inspired song/video/story/picture/plushy/cake/feature-length film in one week like in the original Thing A Week, or they just record themselves singing a cover -- I am sure many of us are capable of covering some of his songs without much practice), or a group of people (or the entire forum) could contribute ideas/parts to one week (e.g. week 12 The Mandelbrot Set releases The Future Soon). We'd get quite a variety of different kinds of Things, some awesome and pre-planned, others hurried, and each one of us wouldn't have to work anywhere near as much as JoCo did for that year. In fact, there are enough of us that I bet we'd have more ideas than would fit into a year. It would give us incentives to finish any JoCo-related projects we had planned, or to come up with entirely new ideas. Basically we 'pay JoCo back' for Thing A Week (though many of us have actually paid money for that.) We won't get new songs from JoCo, we'll get new content from ourselves. And he'll be so humbled and grateful and admiring of us that he'll write some new songs. ;) Or maybe add a new fan-TaW-DVD to a special edition Thing A Week box set. And we'd all sign it. It'd be awesome.

We want 4 more Thing A Week albums? We make 4 more Thing A Week albums.
  • edited August 2009
    I like the idea of using the thing I already released, so that I don't have to rush to release anything else to a deadline. ;)

Honestly, if I had to come up with ideas for videos on demand and to a schedule, I'd be putting out some seriously crappy videos.
  • I know the feeling. :) But although this Thing A Week would look from the outside like things being done on demand and to a schedule, in reality it would be more like, things being done that were mainly being planned anyway and maybe worked on for a while, and nudged to be polished and released on the closest Friday (or whichever weekday we pick) to their expected completion date. Because, to paraphrase John Hodgman, Thinging is not for the few, it is for the many, and what's more, it is for the many all at the same time.
  • I agree with what JadeSnake said and it is what I was trying to say before but couldn't find the words. As long as he is happy with what we do then it is fine. Don't want to make the man miserable for our selfish reasons (how it sounds he would feel if he were to do another thing a week). But we all know that he wants to produce more work and stuff and if we can help him to achieve that even in a small way it sort of seems worth it. If you see it more as supporting, as fans should, rather than forcing.

I think Angelastic's idea sounds pretty awesome if we could get it to work well. I would love to see some new creation every week be it big or small, not having been around back in the times of thing a week it would be nice to experience it in some way or another. It isn't even that implausible with the right person running it.
  • I really like the Fan Thing a Week idea. I do have a project in progress, but it planning to finish in December at this point. And you may be right, it could inspire Jonathan to release a song or two, and that is what we should be doing, inspiring Jonathan, not make or expecting him to make new songs.
  • Does anybody have someThing that could be done in 4 days? I could set up a wordpress blog or something (this way there'd automatically be an RSS feed of the Things... or would we be able to have it feed directly into the user content feed on JoCo's site?) and add Spiff's unintentional opening Thing (or should we just not rush so much and have an intentional first Thing?), and everybody could be added as authors.

I have one video very early in development (delayed by several preceding non-JoCo projects which are taking longer than expected) and another idea for something to do with the source tracks which could probably be done reasonably quickly if a hole in the schedule needed to be filled.

I'm thinking that some Things would be more or less individual (but if they're finished early they could be posted here for suggestions for improvement before they're released as Things, though I guess we have to be careful that people don't have so many ideas for building on a Thing that it's delayed... there could always be later Things which are community remixes of earlier ones. Thinking aloud here, or whatever the equivalent is when typing) while others could be collaborative. There could be a schedule or something saying who'll do which week(s) and what they're thinking of doing on the wiki.
  • Not that I think that's a feasible plan in general... but I do happen to have a cover project in the oven. Not quite sure when it will be done, but I don't think it will be too long now. E. Piano and Organ tracks need to be cleaned up in a few spots, and the vocals still need to be recorded.