Adventure Games

edited May 2009 in Everything Else
Anyone else on here a big Graphic Adventure game fan.

I really like the Monkey Island series, and Sam and Max...i'm just playing through series 2 of Sam and Max at the moment.

I'm also getting excited about Death Spank, Monkey Island meets Diablo, could there be a more awesome game?

Oh, and I have something planned, but I need a copy of CS3 first, I'm owed a copy by Machinima.com and Rustlers.

Comments

• My husband enjoyed Monkey Island. I don't know if he's gone through the entire Sam and Max series yet. (I know he at least bought the whole series.) And at the last San Diego Comic-Con, he got a Sam and Max still signed by Steve Purcell.

Out of curiosity, kerrin, have you read the Sam and Max comics? The husband turned me onto them. They are MESSED UP. :-D
  • There was also a cartoon, but I can't remember if it was quality or not.

I still use the phrase "no one we know or care about" all the time. It's a reference to the headbomb from Hit the Road.
  • I love the Monkey Island series, played all of the games, some of them to death. My favorite is Curse of Monkey Island. Escape was alright, but I missed the point & click controls.

Haven't played Sam & Max though I've been meaning to. Maybe one day.
  • edited June 2009
    but I need a copy of CS3 first
    When I told one of my work friends (who is a big Monkey Island Fan...it's his ring tone) what I was planning, he said "Why use Flash, there are adenture game frameworks", and he is right, but there are lots of them. Anyone know anything about any of them so I can make an informed decision on which one to use?

Oh, and did you hear the news...new monkey island from Tell Tale Games, and a 'remake' of the original by Lucas Arts
  • edited June 2009
    The closest thing that I'm remotely familiar with is the pygame modules for the Python language, but that's for stand-alone games, not browser based games. I'm not sure whether that's what you're looking for, or whether you know Python, so this is probably a moot point.
  • edited June 2009
    Python is one of the few languages I don't know.....there can't be many of them left!
    Browser based is ideal.
    I have a soft spot for the SCUMM system and it's interface, but I don't want to let that cloud my decision on what is best for the game.
  • edited June 2009
    but I need a copy of CS3 first
    Dude, you still haven't gotten the prize from winning that machinima contest with your fabulous "Bacteria" video? (That was a totally sweet video, if I do say so myself. Great job on that ;) That was August of last year! Are you just waiting for the software, or have they not given you the laptop yet either?
  • I was a pretty big fan of the infocom games.

Good 'ol zork.
  • Dude, you still haven't gotten the prize from winning that machinima contest
    It just arrived. It was a desktop, and no CS3, but they beefed up the spec.

I found a good framework that almost does what I need called Adveture Maker ( http://www.adventuremaker.com ), but it doesn't support audio dialogs on the web (only for the windows executable version)

If I were to release a windows only version, how many of you would be upset?
  • I might be upset. Depending on what exactly I'm missing out on. (Though I guess in theory I could run Windows on the MacBook Pro which I'm hoping will arrive today, buying and installing Windows just for one adventure game might make me upset. Hey I just thought of something: botched setup=upset)
  • Yeah, there are going to be more Mac users than average that would want to access it. Looks like I might be writing from scratch after all :(
    It needs audio, else I won't be able to us Jonathans' music, never mind the audio on the dialog!
  • Well, I'm just one person, don't commit to writing something from scratch for one person. Maybe other Mac users already have Windows installed as well. Or maybe there's a better cross-platform framework.

[My MacBook didn't arrive today. :( Still I'm searching, the one missing piece is you...]
  • edited June 2009
    Ok, I have all my problems solved with getting the technical side done.

I found a Flash based application that does everything I need.

I bought hosting http://www.jocoadv.com (I'll be fiddling with this in the coming days, so if it looks broken, it probably is)

Any graphics people out there dying to help, that is what I am still short on.

So far I have a tenuous offer for story writing from someone who's worked on professional games, and an offer for help in various areas from someone else. But these people are offing their time for free, and I don't want to ask too much of people, so anyone wishing to help, please contact me.

Oh and Jonathan has given the big ok.

I'm ready to start as soon as I have people that can help with graphics.

Anyone interested in what the game will look like, I can send a link to the proof of concept demo I have...and it looks good for 2 days work (including learning the application)

[email protected]
  • I'm interested in seeing what you've got. I could probably write a story, although I'm not entirely sure what form you want that story to take. And I have some graphics skills, although I think you're looking for people who can create characters and backgrounds and items and stuff, and that's not something I can help with. But I'd love to see your demo.
  • The demo isn't related to Jonathan, it's just testing the application out. I'll send you a link.
  • graphics people
    Designers? Programmers? What sorts of formats?
  • edited June 2009
    I'm not sure exactly what you have in mind, but if there's any kind of weapons or equipment management, one of the more advanced items that should be obtained at some point is a laser-enabled multi-purpose zen-guitar, per Fatman and Circuit Girl.

Hmmm... You start out as a lonely code-monkey/singer/songwriter playing your guitar in the mall when it gets infested by zombies. After battling them with your guitar, you meet the level boss, Scarface, who kidnaps you and brings you to Skullcrusher Mountain where you must dodge fireballs (tests for atmospheric ignition), and battle henchmen, wolves, and the boss -- a hideous pony-monkey monster. You escape the island in a golden submarine, only to be confronted my myriads of furry lobsters, octopi, seahorses, and the boss -- a giant squid who crushes everything. At some later point, after defeating the evil Mr. Fancy Pants, activating the proper sequence on your newly-acquired zendrum teleports you to a solar dome on a platform in space where you must defeat talking dolphins and battle a warrior robot race...

At the end, you discover the whole conspiracy is controlled by a sentient, passive-aggressive AI, which you have to tear apart and throw piecemeal into a fire, and the game ends with a song about how said AI is still alive... ooops - wrong game!
  • Kerrin showed me his prototype, and it's pretty sweet. He's right though, that it's graphics-intensive and that without people who can create backgrounds for scenes, and items, and characters, it'll be pretty tough to proceed.
  • Is it something that just needs someone with free time or specific skills to do?
  • edited June 2009
    This is sort of funny, I did have an idea in mind for a JoCo-based sidescrolling sort of thing - think Super Mario Bros., only more nerdy.

Basically it'd be built on The Big Boom - little comic-page cutscenes would set the stage for the first level, pretty much following the lyrics, and the game would be mostly about running in one direction, circumventing obstacles and avoiding enemies - no combat, no stomping or nothing, because the song is mostly about getting the heck AWAY from "the Big Boom", which I imagine would be somehow following you through each stage, giving you real incentive to get a move on.

The idea is sort of loose, save for the main sprite should be a sort of bobble-head JoCo - big head, little tiny body - with a permanently frightened expression. I imagine city-scapes, mainly, where besides running in the street you'll maybe need to occasionally try and quick-solve puzzles to get keys to houses where you have to run up stairs and ladders to get out windows on the other side to move on through the level. Difficulty, obviously, would ramp up over time, with the Big Boom coming ever closer, ever faster.
    I'm thinking maybe just one big progressively generated level, and you get points for the amount of time you can avoid the Big Boom.
    Elsewise divided levels, each one tougher than the next, classical style.

Obviously, I have no idea the technical requirements for such a venture, I'm just an ideas-guy here ;)

Though I'd be happy to provide some concept-art and maybe backgrounds for this or any other project. If you need something, lemme know, eh? :)

EDIT: Figure I better show my portfolio if I'm gonna offer up art-services.
    My deviantART-gallery
    My webcomic
  • Oh God, why am I such an artist that once I get an idea into my head, I cannot sleep until it is out on a digitized paper-analogue?

The Big Boom - Inital concept
  • That picture is awesome.
  • That would make a great t-shirt...
  • Designers? Programmers? What sorts of formats?
    Desiginers. I need people that can draw characters, backgrounds and inventory items. If I could get someone to do that I would be good to go. I think the person I had that offered to do graphics has changed his mind. :(

If by formats you mean actual formats, any will do that photoshop understands.
    Celb story
    Some good ideas there, I could certainly use (if that is ok), but that story would be more of one big adventure game, I was looking for one episode being one song (or at most a few). That story uses most of Jonathans' hits. Also, it is a little more action based that I was intending, and I need to avoid any song that isn't CC licensed, so no Still Alive (and anyway, there is a perfectly good game out there for that song :) )
    Skyens' picture
    Awesome picture, don't suppose you have some time to do some graphics for an adenvute game I am putting together? :)

If I don't get a graphic designer by the time I'm ready to start, I'll make some basic graphics as place holders.
  • I need people that can draw characters, backgrounds and inventory items.
    I'm hardly a professional, but I'm interested in trying.

(I'm actually wearing a SIGGRAPH t-shirt as I write this.)
  • edited June 2009
    I'm hardly a professional, but I'm interested in trying.
    Cool, send me an email so I can tell you more. [email protected]
    I am starting to think I'll need to learn to draw my self!
  • don't suppose you have some time to do some graphics for an adenvute game I am putting together? :)
    Well, I can't promise a MAJOR time-commitment - I've so many things going on already.

But I'll send you an email and you can tell me what you need, and I'll tell you what I'll be able to provide ;)
  • edited August 2010
    Can I just say, I am still looking for help. Currently I am looking for people to either write some specific dialogue or just someone to brain storm ideas with on dialogue.
    The graphics are done, although anyone who can draw would still be nice to polish a few things...add more details to the rooms, etc. As the budget was very tight for the graphics and what we got was a bargain.
  • Well, I'm not a professional or anything, but I might be able to write or brainstorm on dialogue. I've listened to a lot of JoCo concert banter, I do improv, and I write stories sometimes. Also, I'm in almost the same time zone as you, which would help for brainstorming.
  • I have just started auditioning for voice actors in the adventure game. Anyone interested should email me at [email protected]