Online Tenori-On type toy

edited May 2009 in JoCo Music
Anyone want to figure out "My Monkey" on this thing?

Comments

• No, but this thing is fun
  • It seems too fast for My Monkey (and has no tempo control), but you might recognize this tune:
    Still Alive tonematrix
  • Well yeah, with the URL...
  • heh...i didn't really notice the URL or it didn't sink in till later. It was fun programing that in an listening to the sound build. BTW...I posted this before but if you have an iPhone or iPod touch try the PaklSound1 app. Very much like a tenori-on from what I can tell.
  • Yeah, that was my first guess. (Obvious guys, just look at the highest notes.)
  • I see nothing remotely obvious about it. The highest notes don't seem to bear any relation to the tune of Still Alive. I guess I'll play with it later to figure out how the lights map to sounds.

Argh, I wish I could leave it open without it making modem noises at me all the time.
  • edited May 2009
    Argh, I wish I could leave it open without it making modem noises at me all the time.
    Don't I know it.

For those who speak music terminology, it's a pentatonic scale (usually associated with oriental music), lacking the 4th and 7th scale degrees. As a result, the scale has no half steps (or tritones) which severely limits what melodies and harmonies it can actually make (no IV or V7 chords, and only power V's). OTOH, it makes it a lot easier for a novice doing random clicking to produce something that isn't dissonant.
  • I see nothing remotely obvious about it. The highest notes don't seem to bear any relation to the tune of Still Alive. I guess I'll play with it later to figure out how the lights map to sounds.
    Seriously? Those highest notes are the notes that make up the only music at the beginning of the song. That is pretty obvious. I wouldn't have recognized it otherwise
  • It's not really the high notes themselves, so much as the whole pattern.
  • edited May 2009
    The highest notes don't seem to bear any relation to the tune of Still Alive.
    Just a point of clarification (in case it's not already clear) -- it's the pattern for the ukulele accompaniment, not the sung melody.

The part at the beginning that goes:
    du du du du du du du du
    (repeat ad nauseum)

(ETA: I know, I know. It should be "so do mi do la do mi do" but let's not go there)
  • Ah, right... that part. (That's a ukulele? Cool.)
  • Ooh, this thing is fun...and this little melody I made up is never going to leave my head.