Song Fu #4

Comments

• edited May 2009
    Downloading the zipfile right now. Firefox says it will take 27 more minutes!

ETA: And apparently I'm not losing. Yet.

Too bad there's no Molly song this round.
  • Drat, I forgot to claim my nine million points from three08, and it's too late now. Maybe later. :) 2 minutes of download left.
  • Wow, this is competition is way more fun than I was expecting it to be. To everyone who is participating: fabulous job. It's a pleasure to be competing with(/against?) you.
    And to all who aren't competing, get out there and VOTE! :)
  • The posting early thing was definitely good for those who did. As it stands, I've listened to Caleb's, Edric's, and SpaceParanoid's (As well as MaW's shadow), and I like all of them. But I don't want to download all of the other songs, and when I try listening to songs directly off of QuickStop, the songs always skip. Really puts me off listening to them at all
  • Why not just download the zip file?
  • I'm just starting to listen to them all, and there sure is a bunch of interesting stuff. On average, production values seem to be creeping up since SF3...
  • OKay then....
    The Return of 'The Covenant of Joe Show' - NOW(ish) -

I'll be Playing ALL the Song Fu 4, Round 1 songs (around 1h 45 mins worth) RANDOMLY

http://tinyurl.com/cmhghq

(once there's an audience!) ;' )
  • @Covenant: Good idea! A shame I couldn't join you for it. Would've been fun to discuss them as they came.
  • Same. I would have loved to hear feedback regarding my song.
  • edited May 2009
    Then...
    I shall do this again at the weekend...

ETA:
    What I *actually* meant was... I *won't* be doing it again this weekend.

Ken has asked that I withhold from doing this one as he has an *official* one to do...

Cheers!
  • 3 words: When and where?
  • 3 words: Asked - No Response.
  • Ah, so its official-but-unannounced? Got it. :-)
  • It's announced now. Just got the following message from Ken:
    This evening - Friday, May 29th - we'll be holding a special live, streaming listening party. We'll be playing all 30 Challenge 1 tunes.

The event begins at 7pm EST, and you can access it by clicking HERE
    Come on out, support all of the wonderful artists, and then go place your votes if you haven't already.
  • I know, I know... triple posting. The shame.

In case you missed the listening party, here's a fun fact: This round's challenge (the inanimate object) was the result of brainstorming between Ken, JoCo, and P&S. That's awesome!

Also, Angelastic: You always realize the day after that you forgot to vote :-), so I'm giving you a heads up now (and anyone else who hasn't voted yet)... Voting closes in less than 26 hours from when I posted this. One minute before midnight EST, Sunday night.
  • Thanks for the reminder, Caleb. :) I just voted (with seven hours to spare!) It was hard.
  • edited June 2009
    Round 2 has been announced:
    Write a march.

A march is “a piece of music with a strong regular rhythm which in origin was expressly written for marching to” - and that is your challenge. You can write on any topic. Your song must run no shorter than 1 minute 15 seconds.
    Seriously. That's all it says.

ETA: Here's the obligatory link.
  • I already have an idea that involved Randy Newman themes.

That is how you know it is a horrible idea.
  • Write a march.
    Your song must run
    hehe.

Okay, not really very funny.
  • I LOL'ed. :-)
  • As with the previous round, I already have an idea and parts of the lyrics laid out in my head. No, it's not going to be "The Portmania March". Although... that might be interesting, too. ;-)
  • I wonder if we'll see the first instrumental in this round?
  • You'll get a shadowed instrumental I think. I can't see myself writing a song for this one.
  • I'm having a hard time too. I *have* a concept & chorus, but I'm not sure I'm really sold on the idea. I keep thinking how much cooler an instrumental would be, maybe something epic with backing vocals like Requiem for a Dream, or Duel of the Fates. But I would probably need more time, and a better idea.

Either way, I'm having a hard time with instrumentation. I can't see myself using anything other than a virtual orchestra, or at least some sort of brass band on this. But then I go back and look at how corny my in-progress lyrics are, and realize that they aren't worthy of an orchestral accompaniment. And my virtual instruments probably will sound too fake anyway.
  • Is an instrumental allowed in a songwriting competition?
  • edited June 2009
    Probably not. But then again, Ken has been lax on rules before, and tends to let the voters decide (I won't mention Edric's prior entry when I say that, since I voted for that song :-p, not to mention various people's objects with moving parts this time around...).

That said, I really want to force myself to do proper songs with proper lyrics (and MaW's just shadowing, so it doesn't matter for him). But I can't decide if my in-progress lyrics are incredibly lame, or comically brilliant, but just disguised as incredibly lame. I'm not even sure I know where the line is. Also, where to go next with them. Two verses? Three? Bridge? Coda? I don't know.

But if someone else submits an epic, awesome, cinematic, orchestral masterpiece (and Ken allows), I'd probably end up voting for it if it were epic enough. Then I'd be disappointed that I didn't write it. On the other hand, everyone might boycott them, and they might get no votes (other than mine). It's hard to tell.
  • When I listen to lyrics on the borderline between incredibly lame and comically brilliant, I tend to side with comically brilliant. Or incredibly brilliant, or at the very least, comically lame. In short, I approve of them. I'd be likely to not vote for an instrumental piece, just because it is a songwriting contest, and I'm usually searching for ways to eliminate songs from the vast choice.
  • As Caleb says, I'm just shadowing, so I can do whatever I like. Possibly due to my own musical background, I find it hard to be asked to write a march and then put lyrics to it.

Still, not going to get going quite yet, got to finish another piece I wrote for my sister first.
  • Well then, MaW, I'm afraid I won't vote for you. ;-)
  • edited June 2009
    Well, I checked with Ken regarding instrumentals. His remark is this: "Entirely your call."

I, for one, think instrumentals can still count as a song. I can think of several awesome instrumentals that are as long as other songs by their respective artists: "YYZ" by Rush, "The Call of Ktulu" by Metallica, "Jessica" by The Allman Brothers Band, "Frankenstein" by The Edgar Winter Group. I hesitate to put these on the same level as the works of Chopin or Schubert, which are comparable in length and (depending on the work) equally wordless.

And what of songs with short little phrases like "Tequila" or "Wipe Out"? Save for those phrases, these are otherwise regarded as instrumentals?
  • I used to think that by definition a March would be an instrumental.
    I was going to say start with the Hogan's Heroes them and go from there.
    turn out that one has lyrics too.
  • edited June 2009
    Thanks robgonzo.

My own research for lyricked-marches (?) led me to some pre-Sousa Civil War era marches, such as Battle Hymn of the Republic, When Johnny Comes Marching Home, and Marching through Georgia (judging by some of the Youtube comments on that last one, there still seems to be some level hatred between North and South. Interesting).
  • Then there are all the marches that started out as instumental but had words added later...
    Be kind to your web footed friends
    For that duck may be somebodys mother
    Who lives in a stream or a swamp
    Where its always rather damp
    You may think that this is the end
    Well you're right

Or of course, "How I saved Rooseveldt" from Assassins, which is fun to listen to right after hearing an album of Sousa marches...
  • There are also several sets of popular lyrics to "Colonel Bogey March" that were written well after the music.
  • Caleb, my Alabama born girlfriend still has relatives that reffer to the Civil war as The War of Northern Aggression.
  • see now when you bring up marches with words, i can't help but think of monty python.
  • Do you mean Sousa's Liberty Bell March? ;)
  • edited June 2009
    Monty Python?! You mean to tell me that Sousa's "The Liberty Bell" has lyrics?!

ETA: Darn you, robgonzo! Ninja'd!!!
  • er well no the one i'm thinking of is (apparently) sung to the tune of "sing as we go", as sung by gracie fields, but it always sounded like a rousing march to me. i'm not exactly a monty python scholar/fanboy - it's just, growing up, my dad happened to have his original copy of the contractual obligation album still sitting on a shelf and all...
  • I think the Mighty Mouse theme sounds like a march to me, but what do I know :p
  • edited June 2009
    You mean to tell me that Sousa's "The Liberty Bell" has lyrics?!
    I googled on a whim, and found these (watch out for unmarked repeats).

Suddenly my lyrics don't seem quite so lame anymore. :-)
  • There's the march from the final movement of Beethoven's 9th (~2:55). That has words. :-)

Froh, wie seine Sonnen fliegen
    Durch des Himmels pr
  • I just want to say that Reaper has some excellent pitch shifting algorithms.

Recorded flute part + 1 octave shift => instant piccolo obligatto. Sweet!
  • edited June 2009
    My entry is basically finished. I may apply some sort of overall EQ (cut mid-low and boost treble?) before my final submission.

Marching To Selador (Traditional Dwarven March).mp3

Painstakingly translated and reconstructed from the original runes. I'll post the lyrics later tonight. Enjoy!
  • I LIKE it! Loved the pennywhistle in there too!
  • Well -- mine's done too. I really can't decide which side of the line I'm on -- demanding a lot of my audience, or just turning them away wholesale. Either way -- I'm not holding out for a whole lot of votes this round. (I might be able to get grudging respect from a couple of people, but that's gonna be about it, I think...)

:-)

For a sneak peak, you can look it up at http://happinessboard.com/Edric_Haleen.html. It's called "Whispered In Your Ear."
  • @Caleb: The words are kind of indistinct, but overall, it's a nice little ditty. I can totally see an army of dwarves singing this as they go through Moria or some other similar place. Kudos.

@Edric: It's very profound. I think you'll get a fair amount of votes for that. Even though there's no tonal instruments (save for a synth pad), I think it fits well. Kudos.

My march is incomplete at the moment, but expect it by the deadline.
  • edited June 2009
    Marching To Selador
    (Traditional Dwarven March)

(Verse 1)
    Fly the ancient banner, and sound the battle drum,
    Sharpen up yer battle-axe, and put yer chain-mail on,
    Line up in formation, boys, it's time to have some fun,
    We're marching to Selador!

(Chorus)
    Raise a shout, shout, shout, (HUZZAH!)
    Shout for the dwarves!
    Raise a louder shout for yer gold!
    Watch the elves turn tail,
    As the dwarves prevail,

Raise a shout, shout, shout, (HUZZAH!)
    Shout for yer homes!
    Raise a louder shout for yer ale!
    And your axe will hew,
    Every elf in two,

(Bridge)
    We all know elves look pretty weird,
    Their facial hair has all been cleared,
    Even elven men,
    Have a hairless chin,
    There's more hair in yer mother's beard!

(Verse 2)
    Burn the elven countryside, and chop down all their trees,
    Watch the elven arrows all get caught up in the breeze,
    When they come in melee we'll just bite off all their knees,

(Repeat Chorus with piccolo solo)

---
    Scored for:
    Dwarven choir
    3 Alto recorders
    3 Melodicas
    Piccolos in unison*
    Tuba (MIDI)
    Snare drum (MIDI)
    Bass drum (MIDI)
    Cymbals (MIDI)
    2 Triangles **

* Piccolo solo was played twice on baroque flute, and transposed up an octave in software, hard panned left and right, and one was slightly detuned)
    ** One triangle was transposed down 6 semitones and muted, to imitate a hammer and anvil sound. Triangle is the only non-MIDI-controlled percussion here. The other percussion used MIDI to trigger some free clips of real instruments that I found online.

---
    Edric, it's an interesting song. I'm not quite sure what to make of after a single listen. It sounds... naked???... without your piano, but you have an excellent singing voice, and carry the melody very well. If it helps, I don't know whether I should feel demanded-of, or turned away. But I still think it will do relatively well. At least your songs are distinctly yours (when they aren't also being Sondheim's).

I'm not sure why voice always comes across as so indistinct. Maybe it's just the cheap mic I'm using, or maybe it's my (lack of) singing technique.
  • Small world, isn't it? Neil "Creepy Doll" Gaiman's latest blog post embedded a YouTube video by Tom Milsom.
  • @Edric- you are really Stephen Sondheim, aren't you? Fess up, it is getting obvious ( well to me anywyay)

*grin*