"The Future Soon" in Sign Langauge

edited April 2009 in JoCo Music
Hey all! My latest JoCo ASL video is complete and uploaded to the 'tubes.

"The Future Soon" by Jonathan Coulton, performed in ASL

This was by FAR my hardest interpretation yet but I quite enjoyed it. Thanks a ton for all your encouraging comments on the previous videos, and I assure y'all there will be more to come! I'm hoping to have a new sign video up every Sunday (my own "thing of the week" if you will). Here's my upcoming schedule as it stands now:

"7 Things I Hate About You" - Miley Cyrus (don't ask...)
"First of May" - JoCo
"Viva la Vida" - Coldplay
"Mother's Day Song" - Paul and Storm
"Big Bad World One" - JoCo
"Creepy Doll" - JoCo
"Space Doggity" - JoCo

Feel free to add your requests here! I plan on eventually doing most of JoCo's stuff, but let me what you'd like to see sooner.

Comments

• Nice job man!
    Hey last week at the local ren faire down in waxahachie we had ASL interpreters at all our shows. were you one of them?
  • Nope! I'm in Texas. I'm planning to email JoCo to see about signing alongside him at the upcoming Dallas show. I'll keep y'all apprised.
  • I'm in Texas.
    So's Waxahachie!

(Wish I could make it back home to Dallas for that show, but that's looking highly unlikely.)
  • Wow, my bad! We've got every single city imaginable in this state, haha.
  • and here I thought mentioning Waxahachie would make it clear that I was from Texas rather than just generic Dallas. My bad.
    It would be awesome if you could make it to down Bry.
  • Excellent work again, CaptainValor! I love the characterisation and the use of rhythmically repeating sings. I don't know if the latter is a regular feature of song signing, but you do it really well; I'm thinking of "blue" in BSD, and "music" between verses in TFS.
  • It is so great that you are doing these!! Love it!! And to have you at a concert signing.... fantastic!!!!!! Looking forward to more...
    hmmmm.... will think of requests....
  • Great job! I especially enjoyed the robot wars! Very dramatic :)

Octopus would be fun.
  • Nice work Captain Valor!
    I can't wait to see how you sign the word "fuck" for FoM.
  • That was really fun to watch. I particularly liked the way you signed the guitar riffs between the chorus and the verse.
  • Another great video. I enjoyed watching this. :)

I can't wait to see "First of May" and "Mothers Day Song."
  • Fantastic! Are you going to do a new one every Sunday? Love the facial expressions- from shy nerd to evil cyborg, lol
  • Heh, Ask a ninja... ;P
  • These are great! Thanks!

As long as you're taking requests: I Crush Everything would be awesome, IMHO.
  • Great comments, all!

@Borba: Song signing styles are incredibly varied. There aren't too many universal conventions really. I encourage you to search "ASL song" on YouTube to get a good idea.

@robotmig: You know, Paul (of P&S) actually asked me how to sign that during the sound check at the Austin show. It's the first sign most people ask about. lol

@Clinger: Kudos

@JMonkee and @voidptr: Added!
  • @CaptainValor: On my drive to work this morning, I was listening to JoCo, and "Someone is Crazy" came up on the ole Zune. I'd love to see what kind of expressions you'd come up with for this one. :)
  • That was so frickin' adorable. And Blue Sunny Day was amazing, really. A week after I saw it I had to go back and watch it again.
  • CaptainValor: Very cool and well done! :-)