You know that you are at a JoCoSho if....

edited March 2009 in JoCo Music
...the line for the bathroom is longer for the men than the women.

(Thread inspired by this tweet)

Comments

• long boring queue huh ??? ;' )
  • At 1:27 in this video:

Q: What can you say about Bananas, Pirate Hats, and Ukuleles?
    A1: It must be a Jonathan Coulton Show.
    A2: You might be at a Jonathan Coulton Show if...
  • ...the line for the bathroom is longer for the men than the women.
    I've found that "Captain's Wife's Lament" is a great opportunity to take an early bathroom break. There was that time at Northampton when they were still mid-"arr" when I got back... thought about marching straight back in. (Instead, stopped and got to chat briefly with awryone.)
  • Highline's terrible sink got water on my pants and hands. Then I shook hands with someone from a different forum. I think she secretly hated me.

Point is, is the men's line longer because there are more men there? Why would being at a Coulton show make us want to pee longer? Wouldn't we want to pee less as to not miss the on stage goodness?

And you know you're at a JoCoSho when you bought tickets and arrive at the venue with said tickets on the appropriate date at the right time. What?
  • Hehehe, I remember somebody making the same remark at the party at the Apple campus during the worldwide developers' conference when I went there in 2004. Mind you, earlier in the conference somebody had mentioned it was the first time they'd ever seen a queue for the women's bathroom there at all.
  • edited March 2009
    ...the line for the bathroom is longer for the men than the women.

(Thread inspired by this tweet)
    I think I tweeted, or maybe posted on here, about the company I work for having the same problem at out company jollies. At the Xmas party, we unofficially made one of the ladies an additional mens, and at work we now have 3 mens and 1 ladies, and I still had to queue last week.
  • I once worked in an office that was so gender-skewed that every woman who worked there had her own stall.
  • My office is on the 1st floor of a building that has semi-regular outside visitors. The women's bathroom has a keycode to get into it; the men's room does not. Consequently, the men's room is not only consistently a disaster =/, but we have had at least three women sightings inside our bathroom, women that I'm sure were just visiting and couldn't wait until someone let them into the women's room.
  • My girlfriend was VERY amused at the line for the mens room at the Austin show. She kept saying that's the first time she'd ever seen that. Funny think though, the audience looked like a normal 50-50 mix.
  • Your girlfriend has never been to a football game, huh.
  • Smart woman. ;-)
  • ...you call out covers of random songs and he actually starts to play them... ...seemingly random fans make multiple appearances on stage accompanying him... ...the audience starts acting like zombies, and no one pulls out a 12 gauge... ...the artist plays songs that have never before been played live on request... ...Neil makes a guest appearance... ...every other person in the audience has a hand held video recorder... ...random references to obscure movies and video games are made, and the audience starts laughing... ...the forum of the artist is actually mentioned... ...thermin, zendrum, guitar, ukuleles, tenori-ons, harmonicas?, pirate hats, sun hats, jaffa cakes, panties, ponkeys, monies, indigo monkeys, chicken nuggets, sea-men... ...the crowd is surveyed, and they know what a fractal is... ...everyone knows the equation to the Julia set... ...the backup singers are male nerds...
  • ...the singer refers to front-row audience members by name... even when they are not at that particular show... most of the crowd responds positively when asked if there are any mathematicians, programmers or evil geniuses (and somebody 'corrects' that to 'genii') but there are no executive recruiters... lab coats, a wrench, a half-pony half-monkey monster and/or a cake are amongst the objects being signed... you wear your geekiest, most obscure, most 1337 T-shirt, and find that several other people are wearing the same one... people wave assorted handheld gaming devices and smartphones, possibly with pictures of cigarette lighters on them... an impromptu LAN party or OS war breaks out... an impromptu zombie apocalypse breaks out...
  • ...a guy called Jonathan Coulton is singing on stage...

(what? too obvious??)

;' )
  • Nah... that might just be a Hodgman reading.

;`)
  • hee..hee... good ones so far...

... you look forward to the musician screwing up in the set because the handling of errors is so entertaining.
  • Very slight variation on Cali's:

You hope he plays a particular song because he always screws it up, then you're disappointed if he gets through it unscathed...

(I'm thinking of The Presidents here, which he unfortunately seems to be getting better at... :)
  • (that's why I intend to start relentlessly requesting Lehrer's 'The Elements' as soon as he gets through The Presidents without mistakes)
  • You are disappointed that the number of flying monkies this time was a lot less than when he played last year. (Birchmere 09 vs 08 when he was able to make a monkey "snow angel" on the stage there were so many)
  • edited March 2009
    ... you can't decide which you like better - the banter or the songs...
    ... you lose track of the times the singer laughs at himself and/or makes self-deprecating comments…

(PS w00t! my video got referenced in this thread! Thanks voidptr)
  • so why are there longer men's room lines? cause there are more men?
  • edited March 2009
    I think the idea is that women take longer to pee, since they have to use a stall and sit down, and also since you can fit more urinals in the same sized rest room than you can toilet stalls -- in computer-science terms, basically fewer execution units -- there is less urination-level parallelism.

But that idea ignores the fact that this is a Jonathan Coulton concert... nerd men tend to be pee-shy and so will use a stall anyway. So... I don't know?

Perhaps it has something to do with women taking longer to primp afterwards, or at least wash their hands, so the execution pipeline contains more steps.

There is a stereotype that women's rest-rooms are cleaner, but having worked as a janitor in college, I can assure you that this is not the case. I got really sick of cleaning up after women who apparently couldn't bring themselves to expose their dainty bottoms to the toilet seats, and so hovered over it. Ladies, you can't aim as well as you think you can! (And gentlemen, neither can you! Perhaps it isn't as long as you'd like to imagine?)

Update: I can't believe I found myself awake at 3:50 a.m. and the best way I could find to pass the time before I got sleepy again was to expound about human urination habits. Just kill me!
  • nerd men tend to be pee-shy
    You've just answered a question I have had about why my companies men's toilets only have stalls.
  • ...people won't stop yelling "ARGH"?

This would be a show also including Paul and Storm, of course...
  • ....the opening act is delayed 5-10 minutes because they need new batteries for their guitar?

(it had to be said.)
  • in that vein:

...one of the songs is delayed for 5-10 minutes because the singer forgot to set up his laptop (and in the mean time there's a discussion about operating systems and how to get Steve Jobs to bring back firewire.)
  • Meh, firewire will be obsolete after USB 3.0 anyway.
  • USB 3.0
    Did I miss another advance in technology?