Favorite Song Tourney Matchup #22 Big Bad World One vs. I Crush Everything.

2»

Comments

• Ooooo.... A tie !
    (Is this the highest vote count we've had ??)
  • M_pony has fantastic taste.
  • [Apropos of very little, what is it with Encubed and assuming facts not in evidence about the meanings of songs? ;) ]
  • as of posting, the vote stands tied 50/50, 21 votes for either, to a total of... 42 votes.
  • The highest vote total so far is 45 (Skullcrusher Mountain crushed First of May 37-8).

Who's left to break this tie?
  • [Hehehe... I take a look at my enormous monkey, and everything is going my way.]
  • edited February 2009
    [@Bry: It's the titles of the songs, and my assumptions of what a song with that title is most likely to be about - or what I'd like it to be about, maybe?

In fact, I think BBWO especially has a misleading name. If it were called, instead: "Big Bad World: One" or "Big Bad World - One", it would be way more appropriate.

When I read "Big Bad World One" my gamer mind puts the words "World One" together to mean the first level of a videogame e.g. the original Super Mario brother stages were grouped together in terms of Worlds, like world 1-1, 1-2, 2-1 and so on. Then I perceive "Big Bad" as its modifier indicating the difficulty of World One.

All in all I think that'd make for a pretty cool song actually.

As for the "My Monkey" mistake, my only explanation is that my mind's so deep in the gutter it's drowning.]

Also I'm really sad ICE is winning now.
  • Bah, who's the tie-breaker? Show yourself so we can lynch you!
  • Yay ! Tie Breaker....
    Cone on then ! End this vote!
    Quick enough to do it when the last one went this way AGAINST the obvious good taste of the minority !!

;' )
  • Funny thing is I think there are still several days to go on this vote.... maybe robgonzo can confirm when it closes...
  • This is the best election I've ever been a part of.
  • The voting on this one will remain open until Big Bad World One wins!

or Sunday.
  • In seriousness, I agree with Encubed about BBWO having a misleading title. Oh, and dare ya to filk it your way!

I don't really have an argument to make against "I Crush Everything", I just find "Big Bad World One" irrepressibly catchy; lyrically it's certainly not as inventive, but it'd certainly be on my "non-geek introduction" playlist that Encubed suggested in the Still Alive / I Feel Fantastic thread. Like everyone else, though, I'm surprised at how close this one is. Jmonkee's comparison of BBWO to "Better" is an astute one, I think. (I wonder if there's any similarity there worth looking into....)
  • OOO.. lookit that !
    Bulluddee favouritism!
  • @Bry, I might just take you up on that challenge!
  • I just like the guitar part more on ICE. You guys make it so complicated.
  • My video of JoCo performing BBWO just went live on Youtube.
  • For me, the lines "What if the best I can be just isn't good enough? Isn't it better not to know?" are particularly poignant. (And for some reason, he's changed "be" to "do" when he performs it live now. Maybe he's forgotten the original, but I think "be" is much more effective.)
  • edited February 2009
    21-23 to ICE.... feells bad voting against BBW:1
  • I voted for BBW:1, but I can see something appropriate in the song about the perpetual reject getting destroyed by the song about the accidental destruction of the objects of love.
  • Go, I.C.E., Go !!!!

(Ooooo its close....)
  • Where are the Big Bad World One supporters when ya need em? :(
  • Realising the folly of their ways ??
  • I voted for ICE without hesitation. It's interesting that some find BBWO more personal. To me, they're equally personal songs. They're equally depressed songs(I quit...I'm done is no less depressed than I crush everything.) One is more literal than the other, but the themes are similar. They're both regarding a person that wants to be included, but who is not. Phony friends, fake smiles, the best one can do not being good enough, ruining things when you get close to people... I went with ICE because it's simply a more interesting song musically and lyrically, imho. "I've got pretty nice arms, but I hate my beak."
  • I just like the way it sounds. It sort of sounds like a sea shanty.
  • There's still time to save BBWO.... but it's down 24-21, and is there anyone left to vote?
  • 45 votes.. I think thats it.... ;' )
  • Well I am still to vote, I have been on a brief hiatus due to getting behind on reading and suddenly having some threads with well over 100 posts to catch up on. It all got a bit too much. But I am clawing my way back reading every post I missed bit by bit, then I will refresh the main page and see another 200 to read through. This one was actually quite an interesting one to call for me, my instinct is ICE it ha just sung out to me more and stuck out when I listen to his music, and even when listening to BBWO and I hear it and love it, fantastic song. It just for me doesn't quite level up to ICE, sorry BBWO lovers.
  • It looks like this one goes to I Crush Everything 25 votes to 21.
    Good round!
  • Looks like the best that we could do just wasn't good enough :(