Song Fu 3

Comments

• Not much to tell. As I've said elsewhere, I'm out of town right now - left this morning. I recorded the tracks for Joe last night, emailed them off and went to bed. I just *happened* to check my email before leaving this morning. I got a message from Joe saying that he couldn't use my tracks because they included his tracks as well. Oops! He thought I'd have to re-record, but I just needed to export the tracks *properly* from Audacity. An easy fix, but if I hadn't checked my email, he'd have been SOL.

Can't wait to hear the finished product. The concept is pretty clever. Thanks, Joe, for letting me be a part. :-)
  • Didn't I send it to you !?!??!

I thought I c/c'd you into the song fu send...

(Checked... hadn't. Stupid Joe)
  • Time is running out and I have not one, but actually four songs at hand. One ('The Flower Song' ... she loves me, she loves me not) is already discarded, because I get the feeling there are already too many love songs in this round. Another ('Alice and Bob') is out of the race, because my vocals don't do it any justice. (It contains melodies.) Now it's a tie between 'God of Bingo' (punk rock song about an actor) and 'Captain Tinglebaraby' (shanty about the discovery of Australia). They both suck, but in different ways. In both cases, the concept is not clever, just repetitive. I guess I'll draw some random numbers...
  • I'm wondering if I should *send* again, cos I've not had a *received* email from Ken...
    (But I've emailed to check)
  • Expect a big vote for this round; Hank uploaded a video, and his channel (shared with his brother) has 65,540 subscribers.
  • edited February 2009
    [sigh]
    Wish *I* had thousands of nerdfighter followers... I don't even know what it *is* !

Well... Listened to it... Maybe I'm biased...
    But I don't think 'too' much of it.
    Is it good? Kinda.

And it also reminds me of "Someone is crazy" for some reason??
  • Wow, his song is pretty great. Great use of the concept.
  • edited February 2009
    Am I the only one who hasn't gotten a confirmation that their submission was recieved?

And I'm gonna get my ass whooped again. Hank Green's song blows mine out of the water.
  • Hate to disagree with you Covenant, but I think it's pretty brilliant.
  • Yup, it is bloody cool. Hats off to him for getting a video done as well. Does it remind anybody else of a DNA sequence?
  • Does it remind anybody else of a DNA sequence?
    Now that you mention it, yeah. Hope I don't get the cancer.
  • That reminds me: All Your Base Are Belong To Us has only seven words.
  • Ah, but the ZeroWing Rhapsody has more.

I assume what you meant to say was, 'All Your Deoxyribonucleic Acid Base Pair Are Belong To Us' has exactly ten words.

Whether you mean the pronoun or the plural of Uracil (Pluracil?) is up to you.
  • @objedi: I had the cancer thought as well ;-)
  • Hate to disagree with you Covenant, but I think it's pretty brilliant.
    And I'm gonna get my ass whooped again. Hank Green's song blows mine out of the water.
    Wow, his song is pretty great. Great use of the concept.
    Yup, it is bloody cool.
    ;' )

Must just be me then !!

;' )

(As an aside... two of my pre-starting ideas included both Arcade games (That was the 13 word one I couldn't pare down to 10) AND using Deoxyribonucleic Acid in the lyric!)

What is going to be interesting to me is how many of the Fu-ers use how many 'the same' words.
    Am I the only one who hasn't gotten a confirmation that their submission was recieved?
    I didn't get one either, I emailed Ken to enquire as to whether this is a problem (Cos we got one for the first round)
  • What is going to be interesting to me is how many of the Fu-ers use how many 'the same' words.
    I'm thinking word clouds.
  • Ooh. A word cloud must be made.
  • Does it remind anybody else of a DNA sequence?
    As much as my song? No. ;-)

Mine is only 10 words in total. But one of them just happens to last almost three minutes.

Originally each syllable in the word was going to have its own chord (similar to what Angelastic suggested, but with chords rather than notes), and similar syllables had related chords - e.g. leucyl was G, isoleucyl was G7, etc. They were assigned according to frequency, so the most frequently appearing syllable equated with the tonic, the next with the dominant, etc. Whilst the resulting chord sequence was actually not bad and reasonably musical, the thought of coming up with any sort of melody that would fit was just too hideous to consider, so I chickened out and opted for a more traditional verse/chorus arrangement.
  • Wow, Hank's tune is fantastic.

If I were still in the contest this round I would be getting a sinking feeling in my gut...
  • It really *must* just be me then !! ; '))))
  • That's a fun song. I really liked his first song too. Hank is very obviously a TMBG fan.
  • edited February 2009
    Funny thing is, when the constraint was specified, my first thought was "Hank is screwed" based on the wordiness of his previous song. His song is actually quite simplistic in design (verbal games aside), but he hits a good sweet spot and he does it with style. {Edited: reference to "I feel fantastic removed" due to my brain being dysfunctional early in the morning}
  • I thought the songs were supposed to be up by now?
  • Ken stayed up past dawn then went to bed. I don't expect to see anything posted for a few hours at least. Until then, we have to wait... or find where the contestants have uploaded their own tracks.
  • Isn't Twitter great? Automated stalking, and nobody will arrest you for knowing when your favourite star's sleep schedule/pants preference.
  • Twitter is the perfect way for celebrities to get tabloid reporters and paparazzi to leave them alone. They can cut out the middlemen and broadcast to all their fans about how runny their oatmeal was this morning. I'm sure we'll all be learning more in the next few days than we ever needed to know about Stephen Fry's backside.
  • Just listened to Molly's song.....
    Maybe its the transfer to video, but it doesn't look ike it lasts minimum of 1m 15...?
    I make it 1m 12/13s ? (I know... picky.. but...you know... ;' ) )

(Molly apologises for this song immediately after it... I dunno what I think about that...)
  • I expect she's submitting the audio corresponding to the 1m 16s between 0:36 and 1:52 in the video.
  • I think it would've been a lot better if she'd sung it rather than trying to scream it.

Certainly she managed to say a lot more than I expected anybody to say in just ten words.
  • Maybe its the transfer to video, but it doesn't look ike it lasts minimum of 1m 15...?
    Jesus! Way to split hairs, Joe.

With some instrument fondling at the beginning and the flamenco solo thing (which I added SPECIFICALLY to tack 15 seconds onto the end of what had been a 60-second song), it clocks in at 1:16.

Part of me wrote the apology to be kind of tongue-in-cheek about how hilariously sloppy and low-fi my foray into heavy metal is, but the other part —as I always feel when I finish writing a song— really does think the song is a steaming turd.
  • ahh. One of the tunes I wrote for the last SongFu challenge was a steaming turd to me too.
    Wrote and recorded it in like 3 or 4 hours.
    Turns out that is the song most folks liked best.
  • MaWMaW
    edited February 2009
    Molly: I think that's normal. Certainly whenever I hear myself performing I think it's pretty bad, but then people come and say they quite liked bits of it and I wonder what's wrong with their ears.

The difference, I suppose, is that I think my songs are steaming turds from conception through to abandonment, rather than just at completion.
  • Jesus! Way to split hairs, Joe.
    YEaaahh... Sorry if I thought the rules hadn't been adhered to, eh !?

If I'd REALLY been worried don't you think I I wouldn't have put...

Maybe its the transfer to video, but it doesn't look like it lasts minimum of 1m 15...?
    I make it 1m 12/13s ? (I know... picky.. but...you know... ;' ) )
    Please, Forgive me for being humourous.
  • Please, Forgive me for being humourous.
    Well, that's clearly a matter of opinion, no? :p
  • @ManFriday, you mean the one about the squid? Or the contest before that? Which song?
  • Please, Forgive me for being humourous.

Well, that's clearly a matter of opinion, no? :p
    Not when there are smilies involved, no....
    Either way, a simple.. Nah its 1m16 would have sufficed, no?

;'
  • I like Molly's T-shirt and the flamenco solo thing. :) Not so much the screaming; I'm not a metal fan. It sounded better than most metal I've heard though.
  • @CoolJammer00

No, not the squid tune.. That one I actually put effort into. :)
    I was talking about the contest before that.. the O'Sullivan Stomp.. the dance craze song.
  • The playing and inventiveness with the instruments was actually pretty cool.
  • Well, no Joe .. the smilie indicates you INTENDED to be humorous. Whether or not you were successful is up to the reader. :D
  • I like Molly's big hair.
  • But, as you correctly said... matter of opinion.
    In *my* opinion... me what wrote it... it was humourous.
    I'd have hoped anyone who knows me, even just from in here, would have cottoned on to that ??

If it had been intended NOT to be, I would be ranting about it...
    (Donthca just love debates that hinge entirely on a person's perception of another's actions/intentions... ;' ) )
  • I like Molly's big hair.
    Yeah.. never understood her problem with it at the start of the video
    Metal Chick's NEED big hair!

There was not enough Headbanging in the vid!
    (Or, 'moshing' as I believe the children seem to call it these days...?)

;' )
  • Moshing is most certainly not head banging.

And I do dig the O'Sullivan Stomp.
  • Once again, hats off to everybody who made the effort to rise to the challenge, whether submitted or not. I love this thread for its "backstage" location.
  • Well, Friday's been over for 40 minutes on the eastern seaboard. I declare them officially late.
  • Since the songs aren't posted yet, I just gave my own song a listen to see how it sounds a little more than a day after I finished it, and I am actually quite pleased with it. Given the time constraints, word limits, and my own mediocre-at-best performance abilities, I think I did well. It will be interesting to see what others think when they hear it.

Also, each time I use Reaper, I am more impressed at how capable and robust it is. I really doubt that any other recording software could do what Reaper does on this old laptop I'm using, especially for the price.
  • I'm wondering if its late because some of the Masters haven't finished yet!?

;' )
  • Well, Joe, now that you mention it, this tweet of Ken's:

"I'm currently picking nits, & en-maddening the nitpick-ee whilst doing so. Such is Ken's lot. Tis a burden almost too pretentious to bear."

made me think that perhaps someone's entry did not meet the challenge requirements, and that they were being given time to change it. You pointed out before that it appears that the Masters get advance notice of the challenge, so who knows. I guess it would only be a seriously bad thing if they get an advantage in the final round.
  • ?? I didn't see that tweet....
    Weird!